Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blog Assignment 4

Don’t Teach Your Kids this Stuff. Please?
In “Don’t Teach Your Kids this Stuff. Please?”, Mr. McLeod makes some comical points. He is telling parents, teachers, board members and administrators not to teach children about anything having to do with computers or technology. As we all know though our world as we know it is coming to a very technological state. Everything we want to know is at our finger tips and children need to learn about it. But at the end of his blog he says please do not do any of this; “cause I'm doing all of it with my kids”. He is trying to say you all don’t do it, I am and I am going to kind of experiment and see how far my children go with this extra knowledge.
The iSchool Initiative
I think this is a wonderful ideal. If a school can just save on paper cost alone they would save a ton of money and that would mean not as many teachers let go. This would also be wonderful when we have book shortages in class rooms with the iSchool all children would get a book and would have a chance at learning. All of the cut backs would be great for any school system.
The only drawback to this idea is that some parents or guardian do not have access to a computer to look at upcoming events or to look at their child’s grades. And would the public school system by all of the students and iSchool or would the parents buy this device? But I think this is a great idea if it will help cut back cost and improve spending elsewhere in the school systems across the nation.
Lost Generation
WOW!! This was an amazing video, I loved it. I was shocked at the beginning of this video and at the end I was amazed at the creativity. We are the ones who can change the world; we need to make a difference. The technique used in the presentation was awesome I have never seen anything like it. This was my most favorite video so far!
Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
I grew up going to church and listening to the choir sing. But I have never heard such beautiful voices in my life. Our church choir meets at least once or twice a week for several hours at a time to practice. And these people have never met. This was the most amazing thing to watch. It is scary that we don’t even have to meet a person in person to practice something. And it’s also amazing to think what a little mic and camera can do and can connect 185 people together from across the world to organize a choir. The internet absolutely amazes me every single day there is more to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,

    You make a great point about creativity amazing you when you watched one of the videos. Education should allow students to show on a "fresh canvas" if you will their knowledge. They should be allowed to learn and show what they learn in a creative way rather than just taking tests. I saw an incredible video today that a group produced in one of the EDM 310 classes and they did not have any idea how to do things like that one month ago!!!! We could have given them 100 tests on technology and they would not have gotten near the experience of making their own movie.

    ReplyDelete